During the 1850’s in hopes of increasing the self- sufficiency of Utah, Brigham Young sent members of the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to the Iron Mission in what is now Cedar City, Utah. Approximately ten years after the iron works of Cedar city closed, Peter Shirts discovered the site of Iron City. In June of 1868 Ebenezer Hanks organized the Union Iron Company.
By 1870 the population of Iron City had reached 97. The growing city then contained a foundry, machine shop, brick schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, and a pattern shop. Although Iron City seemed prosperous, the Union Iron Company was unable to overcome the obstacles created by the money panic of 1874, and the lack of efficient transportation to the outlets in Northern Utah. The iron operation closed in 1877.